West Palm Beach Theft & Fraud Attorney
Theft and fraud are very similar crimes; both involve taking another person’s property or money illegally, and both are taken very seriously by prosecutors. Charges related to theft and fraud carry heavy consequences in Florida, often leading to long jail sentences and large fines.
If you have been charged with committing theft or fraud, contact the West Palm Beach theft and fraud lawyers of Eric N. Klein & Associates, P.A. at 561-353-2800 for a consultation on your legal options.
Punishment for Theft and Fraud
If convicted of committing theft or fraud, the sentence you will depend on the amount or value of property you were convicted of stealing. In Florida, these crimes are divided into four main categories:
- Theft of an amount below $300 is considered petty theft, a misdemeanor;
- Theft of an amount between $300 and $20,000 is a third-degree felony, punishable by up to 5 years in jail, as well as a fine not to exceed $5,000;
- Theft of an amount between $20,000 and $100,000 is a second-degree felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison, as well as a fine not to exceed $10,000;
- Theft of an amount greater than $100,000 is a felony in the first degree, carrying a penalty of up to 30 years in jail and a fine of up to $10,000.
Depending on the circumstances, being convicted of theft or fraud could lead to the imposition of a minimum/mandatory sentence – a type of sentence under which parole and early release are not possible.
Resolving Theft and Fraud Charges
Contact a West Palm Beach theft and fraud attorney for more information about:
- Restitution vs. incarceration
- Pretrial intervention
- Civil damages in theft/fraud cases
- Petit Theft
- Grand Theft
- Armed Robbery
If you are facing charges related to alleged theft or fraud, the West Palm Beach theft and fraud lawyers of Eric N. Klein & Associates, P.A. can help. Call 561-353-2800 today.